For the Record Press author the three abiding passions in terms of music genres throughout my life have always been heavy rock, soul and funk and that most niche of all niches, psychedelia.
It is almost impossible to say which band launched the psychedelic music movement but as the influence of the drug LSD took a vice like grip on the cultural counter movement emanating from the UFO Club in Tottenham Court Road, Soho in 1966, it meant that psychedelic music spectacularly peaked in 1967.
What I love about psychedelic songs is that they take you on a surreal, mystical, magical journey that otherwise could only be gained in the fantasia of childhood novels or dreams…..Or through mind altering drugs, but you wouldn’t necessarily want to go down that route.
The psychedelic path was well trodden by the majority of the leading bands of the time like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Small Faces, Rolling Stones and Traffic. They all appear in this definitive Record Press Top 20 Best Psychedelic Songs of the 1960s –
Top 20 Best Psychedelic Songs of the 1960s
2) Beatles – Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds ( Non hit 1967 )
3) Small Faces – Tin Soldier ( No9 1967 )
4) Traffic – Paper Sun ( No5 1967 )
5) Pink Floyd – See Emily Play ( No6 1967 )
6) Rolling Stones – Paint It Black ( No1 1966 )
7) Small Faces – Ichy Coo Park ( No3 1967 )
8) Beatles – A Day In The Life ( Non hit 1967 )
9) Move – I Can Hear The Grass Grow ( No2 1967 )
10) Rolling Stones – She’s A Rainbow ( Non hit 1967 )
12) Who – I Can See For Miles ( No10 1967 )
13 ) Yardbirds – For Your Love ( No3 1965 )
14 ) Simon Dupree & Big Sound – Kites ( No8 1967 )
15 ) Jimi Hendrix – Purple Haze ( No3 1967 )
16) Moody Blues – Nights In White Satin ( No9 1967 )
17 ) Donovan – Sunshine Superman ( No2 1967 )
18) Pink Floyd – Arnold Layne ( No20 1967 )
19 ) Move – Flowers In The Rain ( N02 1967 )
20 ) Zombies – She’s Not There ( No12 1964 )
Framed vinyl singles with a personalised plaque, make unique presents or original gifts for a special celebration i.e. a Wedding ( Wedding First Dance Song ), an Engagement Party ( Our Song ), a House Warming Party ( New Home ), a 21st, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th or 70th Birthday, a Silver, Ruby or Golden Wedding Anniversary, Father’s Day or Mother’s Day or Valentine’s Day!! PERFECT PERSONALISED PRESENTS! MAKING THE PAST THE PRESENT…..ORDER HERE www.myfirstrecord.co.uk/