After decades of fiscal mismanagement and industrial and social decline, the US city of Detroit has formally filed for bankruptcy, becoming the biggest US city ever to take such a drastic measure!!
Detroit, once a symbol of US industrial power, with debts of at least $18bn (£12bn) is seeking protection from creditors who include public-sector workers and their pension funds. The bankruptcy filing sets a new record for municipal bankruptcies and overshadows the previous record filings by Jefferson County, Alabama, and Stockton, California. No other city of Detroit’s size has ever gone bust. Apparently there are 78,000 abandoned, derelict building in Detroit.
This is an incredibly sad day for the once proud city of Detroit, that in the 1950s and 1960s boasted the biggest car manufacturing industry in the world. In parallel with these buoyant economic times Detroit the marvellous Tamla Motown sound of artists like Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson, Martha Reeves, Four Tops, Temptations, Jacksons and Commodores. Both the car manufacturing industry and the Tamla Motown record label have long since moved out of Detroit, but at least we still have the wonderful legacy of Motown music!!
Let’s remember happier times for Detroit with this Recordpress Top 20 Best Motown Records Songs –
Top 20 Best Motown Records Songs
1) Diana Ross – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough ( 1970 )
3) Four Tops – Reach Out I’ll Be There ( 1966 )
4) Martha Reeves & The Vandellas – Heatwave ( 1963 )
5) Jimmy Ruffin – What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted? ( 1966 )
6) Marvin Gaye – I Heard It Through The Grapevine ( 1969 )
7) Temptations – Papa Was A Rolling Stone ( 1973 )
8) Supremes – Stop In The Name Of Love ( 1965 )
9) Four Tops – Standing In The Shadows Of Love ( 1967 )
10) Temptations – Ball Of Confusion ( 1970 )
12) Four Tops – Bernadette ( 1967 )
13) Stevie Wonder – Superstition ( 1973 )
14) Marvin Gaye – Abraham Martin & John ( 1970 )
15) Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye – You Are Everything ( 1974 )
16) Four Tops – I Can’t Help Myself ( 1965 )
17) Diana Ross – I’m Still Waiting ( 1971 )
18) Supremes – Baby Love ( 1964 )
19) Martha Reeves & The Vandellas – Dancing In The Street ( 1964 )
20) Stevie Wonder – In The City ( 1974 )
Which are your favourite Motown songs and why? Let us know in the Reply Box below.
Celebrate your favourite Motown song in your home or office, by ordering your favourite Motown song in a vinyl or CD format; single, album or album cover; framed and mounted as a picture disc souvenir. You can also personalise it with an inscribed / engraved plaque……
ORDER NOW…….. www.myfirstrecord.co.uk/
Framed vinyl records, framed CDs and framed DVDs with a personalised plaque, make unique presents or original gifts for a special celebration / special occasion ie a Wedding ( Wedding First Dance Song ), an Engagement Party ( Our Song ), a House Warming Party ( New Home ), a 21st, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th Birthday ( How about the No1 song on the day of birth? ), a Silver, Ruby or Golden Wedding Anniversary, Father’s or Mother’s Day or Valentine’s Day!! THE PERFECT PERSONALISED PRESENT!!