Cliff Richard is performing a “duet” with none other than the late Elvis Presley on his new album, albeit posthumously ( for Elvis not Cliff!! ).
Sir Cliff, 75, sings Blue Suede Shoes with the late Elvis Presley on his latest album release, Just… Fabulous Rock ‘n’ Roll which is to be released in November.
News of the forthcoming album comes days after the Crown Prosecution Service upheld a decision not to prosecute Cliff Richard over claims of historical sex offences. Sir Cliff, who always denied the allegations, said he was “pleased” with the decision and said he hoped the review “brings this matter to a close”.
Cliff Richard recorded the album in the Blackbird studio in Nashville, Tennessee, fulfilling his boyhood dream of a “duet” with Elvis Presley. The album also includes Cliff Richard’s rendition of songs recorded by his “heroes”, including Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Sam Cooke and John Lee Hooker. Tracks on the album include Roll Over Beethoven, Great Balls Of Fire and Sweet Little Sixteen, as well as a new, original track,
It’s Better To Dream, and Sir Cliff’s debut single Move It, first released in August 1958.
Cliff Richard commented that the album reflected “a happy, creative, and in many ways an innocent time”, adding: “Not only do I find it hard to believe that my career has spanned this length of time, but also that I still get the chance to do the thing I love best, and that is to get into a studio.”
This got the Record Press author musing over the greatest duets in pop and rock history. There really have been some classic duets, where the fusion of two vocals, especially male and female, have combined to create the perfect harmony. Most of the time it comes down to great chemistry between the two artists in the duet, although ironically the No1 in the following Record Press Top 20 Best Duets is an exception to the rule as Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye loathed each other so much, that their vocals were recorded separately!! However this does not stop “You Are Everything” being the perfect duet!!
Top 20 Best Duets
1) Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye – You Are Everything
2) Neil Tennant & Dusty Springfield – What have I done to deserve this?
3) Jay-Z & Alicia Keys & – Empire State Of Mind
4) Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
5) Kate Bush & Peter Gabriel – Don’t Give Up
6) Simon & Garfunkel – Sound of Silence
7) Righteous Bros – You’ve lost that loving feeling
8) Ozzy & Kelly Osbourne – Changes
9) Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers – Islands In The Stream
10) Shane McGowan & Kirsty MaColl – Fairytale of New York
11) David Bowie & Freddie Mercury – Under Pressure
12) Diana Ross & Lionel Richie – Endless Love
13) Barry Gibb & Barbara Streisand – Guilty
14) Ike & Tina Turner – Nutbush City Limits
15) Jennifer Warnes & Bill Medley – I had the time of my life
16) John Travolta & Olivia Newton John –You’re the one that I want
17) Aretha Franklin & George Michael – I knew you were waiting
18) Elton John & Kiki Dee – Don’t Go Breaking My Heart
19) Sam & Dave – Soul Man
20) Billy Preston & Syreeta Wright – With you I’m born again
You can get your favourite duet song as a framed vinyl single or framed CD single. If intended as a gift, you can also personalise it with an inscribed / engraved plaque… ORDER NOW…. www.myfirstrecord.co.uk/